Monday, October 13, 2025

I'm illiterate

Reading Hashihime really made me want to read more japanese literature, I finished reading the only japanese book in my house, was about nothing in particular really but satisfied me at least a little bit with its writing but I'd much rather read older books. I went to the library for the first time in 8 years or more probably, I have a lot of unread books at home and as cool as going to the library sounds I had no need to and I don't like leaving the house in general. I should've been so surprised but they only had around 7 books by japanese authors and half of it was Haruki Murakami which is not anywhere near what I want to read at the moment so I had to choose between Man'en gan'en no futtobouru and some other stuff from later showa and as much as I'd give the football one a try I don't think I'm quite ready for a history lesson about world's most boring sport (other than anything made by americanoids) (I have no idea if this book is really about football in 1860, that's what the title suggest but it didn't look like it when I skimmed through it the title just scares me). I ended up picking Kawabata Yasunari's Yama no oto which was probably the oldest thing they had there.I'm really starving for something closer to the Taisho era so I ended up buying a book after all - Kotou no Oni by Edogawa Ranpo, it's the only thing I haven't read by him that was published in polish and his other works are one of my favorite literary pieces of all time, it has to be kino as well. 
My favorite book of all time being japanese shouldn't come off as a surprise to anyone, I don't think I'd ever find a book as good or better and that says a lot because I don't even think this book deserves a 10/10 I give it, the end was really shit (Battle Royale btw). It's probably the single most entertaining piece of media I've consumed which should be hard for a book, I could stomach 100 episodes of boring anime, read a 30 volume boring manga, sit through a 100 hour long boring visual novel but I can't stand boring books, I don't drop anything so I would eventually finish even a boring book but it makes me pick books more carefully than anyother media because of this. When someone writing style is shit it's pure suffering and it feels like world has stopped and I'm having a stroke. Best exaple of this is Henryk Sienkiewicz, I'd rather be in an endless loop where I die painfully over and over again than have to read Quo Vadis again, I swear It took me over five hours to get through 70 pages (and I'm a fast reader). I think why it's such an important piece in Poland and it's mandatory to read at school is solely because there once was someone who said it was a masterpiece and made someone else read it and they couldn't finish it but because they thought it would make them look stupid they just went with it and said it really was a masterpiece so now every modern person has to suffer.

Despite how I might seem I don't exclusively read japanese literature (not saying I won't) and only 2 out of 4 my favorite books are japanese, the other two are Nikolai Gogol's Overcoat, I adore his prose, it's probably the best written thing I've read but I guess not everyone can write good all the time because Dead Souls on the other hand was one of worse, not in terms of prose but it was so painfully boring the prose could've been as beautiful as possible and I wouldn't give a single fuck about it, what I'm glad is I managed to even finish the book. I'm not going to mention my 4th favorite book because it was written by an americanoid and that's just embarassing. A part of me enjoys feeling like a more educated and sophisticated person just because I know some fancy words. I want people to see me as a smart guy that knows everything (I do) and just think of me better than I am in reality. I don't even read a lot, I prefer playing video games or reading vinnies obviously, just the few times in a year I read a book I act really pretentious about it :D

As of writing this I'm listening to my discover weekly on spotify and because I don't have any related pictures to add to this post I'm going to post a niche song I like (not from my discover weekly)


No comments:

Post a Comment

MYTH

 I should read more about something before playing because I got into myth after akai ito because I still wanted to read something more myth...